Friday, January 27, 2012

I haven't the Bloggiest


My first blog entry tells the story of how my family came to live at Mayday Farm.  I was happy with my first entry but it leaves me wondering, what next?  And that’s when I answer myself (not out loud, mind you), I haven’t the bloggiest.

There will be stories about how we have spent the last 7 years turning this wreck of an historic house into our home, bit by painful bit.   But there will be more! I am very crafty (you can take that how you want to) so look for craft projects.  I am a thoughtful parent of three children, two of whom have special needs.  I usually love to cook (although I am on a non-cooking jag right now), I love to throw great parties:  dinner parties, kid’s birthday parties, school event parties, I love photography and pursued it even before the advent of the digital era, I enjoy making fun-looking cakes but not at the cost of taste or texture, I am a spiritual person who is always trying to be a better person to mixed results, and I love parentheses and run-on sentences.

I guess today I will tell you a little more about the farmhouse.   We made our decision to go ahead and buy it partially based on the fact that there were not, to our knowledge, any homeless people or raccoons living in the house.  I ask you, is that how you make the choice to buy a house?

On our thirty page punch list of things to fix on our house, they did not list that the roof leaked.  We knew the roof was old, but thought that it could wait a little while, and that a 30 page list was pretty extensive and thorough, so surely if we needed a new roof they would have told us, right?  (And stop calling me Shirley!)  We thought our priorities were a new furnace and central air which is essential, since most of the windows in the house did not (actually, still do not) open.  Every time we heard it start to rain at night we would bolt out of bed and put buckets out in the hall, and in our daughter’s room.  That quickly put “roof” up at the top of the list!

I had read books by designers, notably Tracy Porter about the joys of living in an old house.  Somehow I missed the part in her book when after she had children she moved to a new house and gave it old house personality, because really old houses are not child friendly!  I wish I knew that then!  Or do I?  Today I read a list of 23 Adult Truths on my friend’s Facebook wall.  Number 10 is that Bad Decisions make good stories.  I think ultimately deciding to buy this house was a bad decision, but would I trade my good stories for a simple ranch house?  It depends on what day you ask.

1 comment:

  1. Sulie - I have a cartoon on my cube wall at work - it shows the devil offering a choice of 'burn for all eternity' and 'live in house being fixed up'. I think the punch line is the guy asking for a few minutes to think about it first... I can so relate! I did the bucket thing for quite a while. I use to tell people my house was the one with blue tarps on the roof. Because it was. For a Really Long Time.

    ReplyDelete